Sunday, August 01, 2010

My only Regret

Things are getting very exciting here at the Wulfekuhl house. We have baby showers scheduled for the next two weekends. We are about to finalize our travel plans. I should be purchasing the tickets on Monday Aug 2nd. For anybody that is interested, here are our travel plans:

Sunday Aug 15th Huntsville, AL to Hong Kong. We will spend 3 nights in Hong Kong. Lisa wants to go to Disneyland in Hong Kong.
Thursday Aug 19th Hong Kong to Beijing. We will spend 3 nights in Beijing and tour the Great Wall and Tianenmen Square.
Sunday Aug 22nd Beijing to Nanchang. We expect to get Alison almost immediately upon arrival at the hotel. We will be sure to capture this moment on video. When we leave here, Alison will legally be ours as far as the Chinese government is concerned.
Sunday Aug 29th Nanchang to Guangzhou. This is where our consulate appt. is and is set for Sept 1st. Looks like I will spend my 46th birthday here with my two favorite girls in the whole world. What more could a guy ask for? We plan to stay at the White swan hotel. When we leave here, Alison will legally be ours as far as the U.S. government is concerned.
Saturday Sept 4th Guangzhou to Hong Kong. We will probably take the two hour train ride and enjoy the country side view from the train.
Sunday Sept 5th Hong Kong to Huntsville, AL

Recently I have had some time to think about how long this whole process has taken. Actually, Calculated from our log-in-date to Aug 22nd when we expect to get our hands on her the time is:

136,166,400 Seconds
2,269,440 minutes
37,824 hours
1576 days

We are very glad that it is coming to an end. I really do not think that it should take this long when two loving parents are willing and there are available children. The timing of this process makes me wish we would have started much sooner than we did. That is my only regret.
Of course, if we would have started sooner, we would not have been matched up with Alison. So, I guess it is not really about how long this process takes. It's about being matched up with "your" child no matter how long it takes. The time it takes for parents to be matched with their child cannot be measured with a calendar by years or days. Ultimately, long after they are matched up and look back at the wait, it will seem like the wait was just a moment in time. All the heartache associated with the wait will be nothing more than a memory which will fade away.

2 comments:

Tina said...

You are SO right!! The moment you see that sweet baby's face all the pain of waiting goes away and you understand WHY it took so long. We are so excited for you, I'm really glad you are going to take time to see China. I wish we had got out more and had more in country pictures. Take lots of them and enjoy every moment of it. You will cherish this trip for the rest of your life!!
Love
Tina H

Michelle said...

Very well said and speaking from my own experience with my adoptions, it is VERY TRUE. Once you hold her and she looks at her parents for the first time all the waiting will be a distant memory. I am so happy for you both and I am thrilled to have been able to share in this with you.