Saturday, August 21, 2010

Beijin: Saturday 8-21-2010

Once again we went to the lobby for breakfast, Russ and I had our good ole American stand by once again! After breakfast we meet our guide, Cherry in the lobby. Today we woke up to rain. We had hoped it would clear off before we started our day, but it didn't. Cherry was in the lobby waiting for us at 8:30.

Today was a full day. We started out at Tian'an Men Square. We left the backpack in the car, so when we got the camera to take pictures...The batteries were dead! We did get it on video, Once we make some snap shots from that we will post some pictures.

From the square, you walk into the Forbidden City. It was very crowded. Despite the rain, it didn't keep anyone away! We fought through the crowd's and got lot's of pictures. It was so pretty. I just wish it wasn't raining. I could have taken a lot more pictures than I took. We bought a coin for Russ and a head band for Alison to wear at Chinese New Year.

Once we left the Forbidden City, We went to the silk factory. We bought a silk blanket and cover and 2 outfits for Alison along with 2 cinch bags to put our tips in for our Guide and our driver, Cole.

We left there and went inside Olympic park to have lunch at another Chinese restaurant. The staff did not want our guide to sit with us. There is a separate place for guides to sit together, they wanted her to sit there. I didn't know what was going on till we sat down. I could tell something wasn't right with the tone she had with the staff. Our food took forever to get to us. Cherry asked what was taking so long... they said... Well, we have to cook it! lol They didn't give us anything to drink. We had to ask for something. The girls said we didn't pay for drinks. Then a young man came over and asked what we wanted and gave us a nice cold glass of sprite and coke. I think he could see how rude the girls were to us. The food was very good. We had steamed broccoli, white rice, sweet and sour chicken, and full head and feet on fried shrimp, watermelon and tofu soup. And you all will be so proud of me.....thaaaaadahhhhh... I used my first squaddie potty! I did a very good job!! hahaha Only thing was...GOOD THING I HAD SOMETHING IN MY PURSE TO WIPE WITH! lol I saw the paper roll on the wall AFTER I was done.

Once we left the restaurant, we went to the Bird's nest and water cube. Not much going on because of the RAIN!! It rained on us all day long. Even though it was raining, it wasn't cold. The rain wasn't so bad that it was miserable. It just made us walk a little faster getting in and out of places.

After we left Olympic park we went to the Temple of Heaven. The grounds were so so pretty. They are doing some renovations, so there was construction items on the ground, and they had a few places roped off. On our way out there was a group singing. Oh, it was so beautiful! I could have stood there and listened for a long time, but we were all tired and ready to go. Oh...haha there were some folks there with brass instruments playing also. As we were walking away..they started placing jingle bells..haha everyone started laughing.

We got back to the hotel, I was so tired. Russ and I said we were not going to fall asleep so early this time. We were going to go to have roasted duck just down the street. Well...that didn't happen. I know Russell is disappointed. But I was out as soon as I laid down. There is also a hard rock cafe shop next door to the restaurant. I wanted to get a t-shirt. Hopefully We can stop by Hard Rock on the way out and get me one.

It is late. I need to try to get some rest. We fly out at 11 tomorrow and get to Nanchang somewhere between 1:30 and 2:30. Then we get Ali around 4!!

We will post pic's of Family day as soon as we can take our hands off our little sweet heart and take some pic's!






1 comment:

Our Journey to China said...

So glad you guys had a great day, in spite of the weather! It looks great, wish we could be there with you. :-)